Welcome to MUCE
Mkwawa University College of Education (MUCE) is located at the Southern Highlands of Tanzania in Iringa Municipality about 3 Kilometres from the municipal center. MUCE was established as a Constituent College of the University of Dar es Salaam (UDSM) on the 1st of September 2005 by upgrading the former Mkwawa High School, in response to the growing demand of secondary school teachers.
Mkwawa High School was first established as an ‘Ordinary’ level school in 1959 and was called St. Michael and St. George’s School respectively. In 1964 it became a High School and was officiated by the First President of the United Republic of Tanzania, the late Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere. In 1977 it was converted into a teachers' college which offered Certificate and Diploma programmes in teacher education. In 1992 it was turned back to a High School until March 2005 when it was upgraded to a constituent college of the University of Dar es Salaam by order under section 55 (1) of the University of Dar es Salaam Act No. 12 of 1970 which was published in Government Notice No. 2003 on 22nd July 2005.
Candidates admitted into this College pursue any of the FOUR undergraduate degree programmes which are:
- Bachelor of Education in Arts (B.Ed. Arts)
- Bachelor of Education in Science (B.Ed. Science)
- Bachelor of Arts with Education B.A. (Ed.)
- Bachelor of Science with Education B.Sc. (Ed.)
Any of the THREE postgraduate programmes which are:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- Master of Science with Education (M.Sc. Ed.) in Biology and Chemistry Streams
- Master of Arts with Education (M.A. Ed.) in Geography Stream
MUCE has three Faculties i.e., Faculty of Education (FoED), Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences (FoHSS) and the Faculty of Science (FoSC).