The College Library is the main academic organ of MUCE responsible for the acquisition, maintenance of literary materials and reader services. The library has a 33x31m floor area for readers and at the moment a capacity to accommodate 500 readers at a time.
MUCE library expanded not only in terms of academic programmes but also student enrolments. Since then the need for expanded library services, resources and facilities as well as space demand for reading, shelving, ICT facilities and electronic materials including offices space have been felt.
For the future changes that are needed for the university library has to take number of measures. These include: subscription of full text electronic journals and bibliographic databases, creation of online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) for the entire university community. Other measures are the introduction of user training programme in literacy skills, expansion of the physical facilities, computerization of in house activities- cataloguing, and circulation.
The vision of MUCE Library is: To be a leading academic centre of excellence in the provision, dissemination and preservation of knowledge in the country.
To provide contemporary information services that will empower the University in carrying out its core activities of teaching and learning.
- Transparency - we value integrity and accountability in services providing.
- Quality service - we value library service and that is credible, responsible that support to teaching and learning.
- Diversity - we value diversity and cultures of intellectual freedom in providing open and inclusive access to information.
- Collaboration - we value cooperation and teamwork in all aspects of our work within the university and with our partner institutions.
Functions of the MUCE Library:
- To support the mission of the University as centre of excellence in knowledge capacity building through provision of relevant and timely information that enhances teaching and learning functions.
- To guide and train users in accessing relevant information efficiently.